So I got distracted from my Whisper Cardigan with another Girasole, this time a present for my mother in law. I used some New Lanark Aran in a speckled blue to make quite a heavyweight blanket. Boy did it take a while to get used to the thicker needles and chunky wool and at the beginning I wasnt sure I was going to enjoy this at all. It was a bit of a slog at times, but having finished one already I know the results would be great so slog on I did. I was also up against a deadline as we were visiting soon. I think it took me just over 3 weeks in the end. It got so so heavy! But all was made much easier by the purchase of some cable connectors so I had a 40" + 32" cable joined together. Hence the name: The Beast.
I blocked it by soaking it in the bath (it got even heavier!), rolling out the worst of the moisture in towels, then spreading on my bed (a king size, but still barely big enough). I carefully pulled and tweaked it, but didnt pin it, as I dont like the edge too pointy. Mercifully, it mostly dried in a day so we could actually go to bed.
And MIL loves it :)
And I have already bought yarn for a third, this time a sage green DK weight, so the size should be somewhere between my delicate #1 and my beasty #2. I am going to concentrate on other projects for a while though...the queue is long.