Monday, April 27, 2009

Sweater Mania

Never one to concentrate on one thing at a time, I am now knitting two sweaters at once. Henley Perfected in a duck egg blue and Arisaig in a bluey/lilac heathery yarn. Am a bit nervous about fitting given my podgy bits, and the lace making it hard to see what might fit. Am not very experienced at sweaters for people over a foot tall. I am trying really hard to finish the Arisaig before I start anything else. It is hard. Back and 2 fronts finished. 1.5 sleeves to go....

Spring Bunnies

A treat for the girls for Easter. They sit on eggs. I love them, although annoyingly the girls were more interested in plastic tat eggs from the 'Easter Bunny'. Humph. They are from a pattern from Little Cotton Rabbits.

Whisper Cardigan

And I finished this. It is so hard to photograph, so you will have to put up with a pick of my boobs. I do love it. But I wish I was thinner, it makes me look like a podge I think. Its so soft though. MMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Must loose weight. Meanwhile, the designer has published a similar cardigan with better coverage for the bloaters amongst us, so I might do that one. Or loose weight. Sadly (or not!) I did manage to acquire even more laceweight yarn during my recent trip to the US and am very into the idea of using it for proper garments, not just shawls....

The Beast

So I got distracted from my Whisper Cardigan with another Girasole, this time a present for my mother in law. I used some New Lanark Aran in a speckled blue to make quite a heavyweight blanket. Boy did it take a while to get used to the thicker needles and chunky wool and at the beginning I wasnt sure I was going to enjoy this at all. It was a bit of a slog at times, but having finished one already I know the results would be great so slog on I did. I was also up against a deadline as we were visiting soon. I think it took me just over 3 weeks in the end. It got so so heavy! But all was made much easier by the purchase of some cable connectors so I had a 40" + 32" cable joined together. Hence the name: The Beast.

I blocked it by soaking it in the bath (it got even heavier!), rolling out the worst of the moisture in towels, then spreading on my bed (a king size, but still barely big enough). I carefully pulled and tweaked it, but didnt pin it, as I dont like the edge too pointy. Mercifully, it mostly dried in a day so we could actually go to bed.

And MIL loves it :)

And I have already bought yarn for a third, this time a sage green DK weight, so the size should be somewhere between my delicate #1 and my beasty #2. I am going to concentrate on other projects for a while though...the queue is long.